Hello jet setters! I just got back from a 7 day trip to Bali and can I just say – it was AMAZING! As with all trips there were unexpected changes, but that’s what makes it an adventure right?
Kevin and I arrived in Bali and headed straight for Ubud – the cultural center of Bali. We stayed at Wapa di Ume upon our arrival and the service there was probably the best out of all the hotels we stayed – the concierge and all staff were so thoughtful and friendly. We were also lucky to stay at The Kamandalu Ubud, a 5-star resort where we had a floating breakfast in our pool. Needless to say we really enjoyed ourselves on the Island of the Gods. From Ubud, we headed out on a 24 hr journey to the smaller islands of Gili Trawangan. Honestly, unless you’re a huge scuba diver, snorkeler, or have more than 24 hours to spend on this small island – I would recommend you to just skip it. Instead maybe consider a day tour to Nusa Penida which I wish that we did instead.
Day 1-4 in Ubud :
- North Bali sightseeing: Hire a driver to take you to the famous Handara Golf Course gates, Water Temple, Aling Aling Waterfall, Nung Nung Waterfall and a viewpoint at Wanagiri Hidden Hills.
- A day in central Ubud: If you are staying at a nice hotel they will most likely have free shuttle service to and from the Ubud Palace which is where you want to go! If you wake up early enough, go for a morning walk along Campuhan Ridge Walk to avoid crowds. Check out some cultural dances at the Ubud Palace, and while you’re there stop by the Ubud Water Temple as well! Wander down the street until you find yourself at the Ubud Market which is where you’ll find cheap deals for those woven bags that are so popular right now.
- Mt. Batur Sunrise Trekking: Hike a volcano for the sunrise with an option to visit a Luwak coffee plantation on the way back. Find out how these cute little animals help to produce the famous Balinese coffee! And it’s a great place to buy souvenirs.
- Other activities near Ubud: Tegalalang Rice terraces, Monkey Forest Sanctuary (DON’T WEAR YELLOW COLORED CLOTHING), Bali Swing, and Mozaic Restaurant for Michelin dining!
Day 5-7 in Seminyak/ Kuta:
- Take a Spa Day at Karma Kandara Spa and head down to Uluwatu Temple for the Sunset Kecak Dance.
- Volunteer at the Sea Turtle Society to help release baby sea turtles back into the ocean. Release information can be found on their facebook here.
- Wander around Seminyak Square for lots of good eats and shopping
- Watch the sunset at one of the many beach clubs
- Check out my in detail Seminyak guide here for more food and photos.
Tips and Tricks to really make the most of your time in Bali:
- Hire a driver for the day, it’ll cost you ~ $40 USD / day. Do NOT attempt to scooter around unless you are an expert – we witnessed a couple accidents on our vacation.
- Make sure you balance tour days and relaxation days. When I originally planned our itinerary I jam packed with activities, so we ended up skipping some days to just hang out in our villa and relax.
- Do not make the trip out to the Gili Islands unless you can stay 2 nights or more to make the trek worth it.
- I would spend 4 days in Ubud and 3 days in Seminyak/ Kuta area. To get to North Bali from Ubud is a lot easier than from Seminyak so you should do all your Northern Bali waterfall chasing from here.
Mozaic Restaurant (Michelin Starred)
If you would like my full blown 8 page google spreadsheet with all my notes and contact numbers for drivers, please leave me a comment below and I would be happy to share it with you!
Hello! I’ll be doing a solo trip to Bali from Dec. 2 to Dec.8 and was shown your site by a mutual friend. Can you please share your google spreadsheet, since I’m trying to get as much information as possible? Thanks so much and great blog! It really helps. P.S. I’m also staying at Wapa di Ume!
Of course! I sent it to the email you provided, let me know if you do not receive it soon.
Wapa di Ume is amazing, I’m sure you’ll love it there. Also their hotel restaurant is really good!
Safe travels 🙂
Would you recommend Wapa di Ume Or Kamandalu for someone with a toddler?
Hi Aseela! I would probably recommend Kamandalu just because they have more space in the suites and amenities in general. Lots to do on the property.
Hey! My husband and I are heading to Bali in 3 weeks for our delayed honeymoon! I would LOVE the google spreadsheet that you have put together! Definitely interested in finding a driver to take us around for the day. I have found “private tours” for a day, but those are $140-$200 a day! I’d love to save some money if I can. Love the pictures and the blog! Can’t wait to experience this beautiful place! ❤️
Hi Kayla, I just shared my google doc with you! Hope you guys have a wonderful time there 🙂
My friends and I are also going to Bali in June, we want to explore the island without booking any private tour. Can you also share your spreadsheet with us. All of your photo are beautiful, can’t wait to get to Bali <3
Hi Kay! I just shared with you, let me know if it worked! Hope you guys have fun! 🙂
Hello, I am wondering if you could list the contact information for your drivers? Thank you Rachel 😊
You can Call, Text or Whatsapp +6281338044755
I also have their email but Whatsapp is the best way email@example.com
If he’s busy: +6287761737808
They’re both great!
We will be in Bali from July 4-11
I would appreciate it if you send me your full Itinerary
Can you do all of north of Bali in one day
Hello! I just shared my sheet with you. Let me know if you got it 🙂
I think you could do about 3 things in North Bali in one day.
Have an amazing time in Bali!
Love your blog. Would you be open to sharing your spreadsheet with me? I’m planning a romantic vacation 🙂
Hey I am going bali with my friends. We want to explore bali on scooter. Is it safe to ride long distance on scooter? Can you please share your full itinerary?
Hi there! So if you are experienced with a scooter then I say forsure its a cheaper and more flexible way to get around Bali, but I was in a scooter accident while I was there so I personally would not use a scooter again! Please send me your email and I’ll share my itinerary 🙂
Great tour itinerary. Good tips for you who are would like to spend your holiday in Bali